Welcome to Painted Hand Farm

Painted Hand Farm is a 20 acre Civil War era farm located in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. We raise meat goats, veal calves, turkeys and organic vegetables using humane and sustainable agricultural practices.

Search This Blog

Monday, March 09, 2009

Socks from the Flock

I'm giving away my holiday shopping secret. Some of my friends & family will recognize these soft and warm goodies that ended up under their Christmas trees last year. The socks are from Bearlin Acres, a small, sustainable family farm not far from us.
My friendship with Linda Singley began several years ago when we met at a regional potluck dinner for PASA. I had mentioned to her that I was interested in acquiring a Tibetan Yak to eventually milk and the next day Linda called me after she spied a yak for sale in the Lancaster Farming News. So now you also know how I ended up with that yak. Over the years our friendship has grown as we've adventured into the world of small ruminant farming and life in general, sharing our knowledge, our triumphs and our tribulations.
In addition to socks, Linda also makes snappy (and warm) hats, hand-dyed roving and yarns and an assortment of other goodies including tanned fleeces from both her sheep and cashmere goats.

No comments:

Post a Comment