Welcome to Painted Hand Farm

Painted Hand Farm is a 20 acre Civil War era farm located in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. We raise meat goats, veal calves, turkeys and organic vegetables using humane and sustainable agricultural practices.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Did Not Chop Down That Cherry Tree

But Ralph & Larry did, and it's a good thing because as you can see from the pictures, there wasn't much left of the inside of the old tree. We knew the tree's days were numbered and tried to extend its life by pruning off all of the dead branches, but when exterminating a nest of hornets in the trunk last summer, we realized just how hollow the tree really was.
With record high winds taking down branches and trees on the farm and throughout the neighborhood, I quit parking my truck next to the old cherry tree for fear it would come crashing down on top. However, where I was now parking in front of the barn also happened to be one of Ralph's favorite working areas. So today when I heard the chainsaw fire up, I didn't think much of it until the sound of the tree crashing to the ground rattled the house. Always thinking two steps ahead, Ralph offered to haul all of the wood over to Larry's house if he would help cut up the tree. Larry is one of the local hard-luck cases who lost his job and lives in a dilapidated trailer on a neighboring farm. He heats his trailer with only a wood stove. This way Ralph could make sure that Larry stays warm and that I get my truck out of his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment