Welcome to Painted Hand Farm

Painted Hand Farm is a 20 acre Civil War era farm located in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. We raise meat goats, veal calves, turkeys and organic vegetables using humane and sustainable agricultural practices.

Search This Blog

Friday, May 08, 2009

Thanks, Ashley

Normally, I wouldn't complain about babies BUT....It had been a terribly long day that started with a farm tour for a class from the Yellow Breeches Alternative School. While bringing Emma up out of the pasture to demonstrate how we milk, she did a little hoppity-hop happy dance and rather ungracefully gave me quite a bump nearly knocking me to the ground. I didn't fall, but I did twist my ankle rather badly.
But I had a schedule to keep so I hobbled along. After the school tour was over, my next event for the day was a beer & cheese pairing at Alibi's in Carlisle. Fortunately, I had been designated the driver so the cheesemaker & his intern did most of the cheese cutting and I was able to get off my feet for a few minutes.
Finally, nine hours after the initial injury I have a chance to sit down, elevate & ice the now very swollen ankle. I brought home a growler of Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale and was about half way through my second pint when Ralph muted the television to talk to me. I could hear that it was pouring rain outside. I could also hear the unmistakable cry of newly born kids. Damn. I stuffed my feet back into my boots and tottled out to the pasture to see who had done this to me. Fortunately, it was Ashley...a good momma. She had kicked out all the other does from a hut and had her twins on the ground, clean and hitting the teats by the time I found them. And there they stayed until the following day when they were moved over by the barn with all the other kids & mommas. A buck & a doe kid. The doe has some really wierd facial markings that make her look more like a rabbit than a goat. I think I'll call her "Bunny".

No comments:

Post a Comment