Welcome to Painted Hand Farm

Painted Hand Farm is a 20 acre Civil War era farm located in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. We raise meat goats, veal calves, turkeys and organic vegetables using humane and sustainable agricultural practices.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gaining in Popularity

Cabrito: young kid goat slow roasted over hot coals. Although this meal is wildly popular throughout the rest of the world, especially in Mexico, it really has yet to catch on here in the United States. Maybe that's a good thing since we're still importing over 700,000 goats a year to meet the current demand in this country.

Today in the New York Times Dining Section, Frank Bruni has a wonderful audio slide show about Cabrito, a new Mexican restaurant in Greenwich Village. "Although baby goat is their signature dish, it's not a particular goaty restaurant." Instead, he believes the name was chosen as a "signal to a certain kind of food lover, a roll-up-your-sleeves-and-eat kind of place."
There is also a written review.
If I lived closer to NYC, you can bet I'd be there feasting on their signature dish and washing it down with artisan tequilla.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Where is this grill picture from? Can I use it? I want to share it on my blog sometime.

    How many ice layers are you suffering under? I'm praying the sun works on the lane. A lovely neighbor plowed me yesterday - then the rain and freeze came.
    #@@#^^#$$*
    That's my teeth gnashing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't say I've ever heard of a place referred to as "goaty." ... Hope the spring thaw comes soon for you. Our dogwoods are already blooming here.

    ReplyDelete