Welcome to Painted Hand Farm

Painted Hand Farm is a 20 acre Civil War era farm located in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. We raise meat goats, veal calves, turkeys and organic vegetables using humane and sustainable agricultural practices.

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Triple Play

On the verge of spring, I thought it best that I get the fruit trees and grape vines pruned and fertilized. While I was working, an enormous flock of Canadian Geese heading north flew over in V formation. Being outside in the sun really charged my batteries.

Closer to lunch time, I checked on the goats to find Ashley in heavy labor. She was ushered into a delivery area where she quickly dropped three bucks. This was perfect because this year when Jessica showed this doe at the Pennsylvania Farm Show, the judge pointed out that she had a "fish teat" which is a cull factor for breeding stock. Granted, as a meat producer I'm not hung up on what I consider minor confirmation defaults in the show ring (fish teats, tail web color, split testicles). I do, however, cull for bad bites, unthriftiness and breeding difficulties. Wanting to always increase the quality of my herd, though, I've decided to not keep any of Ashley's future female offspring for breeding stock. I'll continue to breed her as she is a good mother and has always had multiple births.


No comments:

Post a Comment