Welcome to Painted Hand Farm

Painted Hand Farm is a 20 acre Civil War era farm located in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. We raise meat goats, veal calves, turkeys and organic vegetables using humane and sustainable agricultural practices.

Search This Blog

Monday, August 18, 2008

Yummy Summer Fresh Local Food

For me, summer means fresh corn-on-the-cob and sliced tomatoes. Yes, that's some of my home-made butter from Emma's cream slathered on the corn. To go along with my Walleye fillets (thanks to my brother, Dave), I took some of my zucchini relish and mixed in a little mayonnaise to make a quick Tartar sauce. And of course, an ice-cold Troegs' to wash it all down.
Our neighbor gave me the recipe years ago as an idea for something to do with monster zucchini. It's delicious so I'm sharing the recipe.

Gail Hoffman's Zucchini Relish
(I double the recipe and it makes 14 pints)

10 cups unpeeled zucchini, chopped (I run my through the food processor's large hole cheese shredding disk)
3 1/2 cups chopped onion (same disk)
5 tablespoons salt
Mix well in large non-reactive bowl and cover. Let stand overnight. Rinse well under running water and squeeze excess water from mixture.

Mix in
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon mustard seed
2 tablespoons celery seed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
6 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 whole green pepper, shredded (same disk)
1 whole red pepper, shredded (same disk)
(in this last batch, I also added two red jalepeno peppers, finely chopped with the processor blade)

Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Ladle into clean jars and process in water bath 15 minutes.

1 comment: