Welcome to Painted Hand Farm

Painted Hand Farm is a 20 acre Civil War era farm located in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. We raise meat goats, veal calves, turkeys and organic vegetables using humane and sustainable agricultural practices.

Search This Blog

Friday, May 23, 2008

True Love

As far as women go, I'd be considered an 'easy keeper'. I don't wear jewelry or perfume. I don't like cut flowers from florists. I think trinkets are dust collectors. I can cook better than most restaurants in a 50-mile radius and a night-out-on-the-town isn't very appealing to me anymore. So what's a guy to do?Well, Ralph has long figured that out. I love farming and he puts his muscle, heart & soul into those things that make my life easier. From time to time, he adds those little touches that lets me know he cares, far better than a card from Hallmark could ever do. This is the barn stall where Emma spent the winter. Until yesterday, there was about a ton of hard-pack manure and hay. There's no way to get power equipment inside and Ralph was opposed to any 'pigerators' so with a pick-ax, pitchfork and wheelbarrow, he cleaned out the barn. When he was done, he put down a layer of lime and sawdust. There was some leftover neon green paint from when we marked the trees for removal when the bulldozer came last month so he reminded me that for the last two days, his was not just a labor of necessity, but a labor of love. To me, that means more than any bauble from Tiffany's could ever be. So instead of flowers, he builds me flower and vegetable beds. And when more calves show up, he's right there with his cordless drill and spade bit ready to build a Mommy Bucket at a moment's notice.
It takes a special kind of guy to put up with a farming addict. I'm just lucky I found one.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I would agree...that is true love all the way around!!! You are blessed.
    grace and peace,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just can't replace a man like that now can you? I have one that's similar but not quite that romantic.

    ReplyDelete