Welcome to Painted Hand Farm

Painted Hand Farm is a 20 acre Civil War era farm located in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. We raise meat goats, veal calves, turkeys and organic vegetables using humane and sustainable agricultural practices.

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sure Signs of Spring

One of the sure signs of spring in our neighborhood is when we start hearing the roar of the lawn tractor engines. This is how my neighbor mows his grass. And this is how I mow mine. No noise, no riding around in circles for hours on a Saturday afternoon, no paying $3.50 a gallon to fuel the mower and have it belch fumes. Instead, I've opted for 15 minutes of setting up the electric netting and spending the rest of the afternoon working in one of the gardens. I've learned that if I work in the garden next to the fence, I can toss over all the weeks I pull and the goats will happily snap them up as well. One more iteration before it becomes compost.
Emma is more than happy to trim the lawn. The only problem has been that we have a lot of wild onion & garlic. She's so happy to be back out on lush forage, but her milk right now is quite odoriferous and has a peculiar taste. Nothing you'd want to make a batch of ice cream with.
Speaking of the Allium genus, these are Ralph's Elephant Garlics he planted. I'm looking forward to soaking a head in olive oil, roasting it on the grill and then spreading the soft bulbs on freshly-baked crusty bread. Yum!
Spring is my favorite season because of the fruit blossoms. The cherry trees rain down petals of white and the peach trees light up the yard with their rosy blossoms against the backdrop of green grass and freshly rototilled dirt in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment