Welcome to Painted Hand Farm

Painted Hand Farm is a 20 acre Civil War era farm located in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. We raise meat goats, veal calves, turkeys and organic vegetables using humane and sustainable agricultural practices.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Butter!

This is up close & personal of my first batch of butter made from Emma's milk. Prior to churning, I let the milk sour for 36 hours in a crock to develop a little more flavor. Stay tuned for a step-by-step pictorial of future butter-making sessions. I'm still working out the kinks, but thanks to my dear friends (and awesome wood workers) over in Perry County, Doug & Jim, I'm working with a pair of hand-made wooden butter paddles.

After I finished the butter, I wanted to have freshly baked bread to go along with the butter, but when my second batch of bread in a week failed, I knew I had some stale yeast. Time for a trip to the Country Pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment