Welcome to Painted Hand Farm

Painted Hand Farm is a 20 acre Civil War era farm located in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. We raise meat goats, veal calves, turkeys and organic vegetables using humane and sustainable agricultural practices.

Search This Blog

Friday, November 09, 2007

"I've never seen anything like that before."

First, that's what Susan Dietrich said, and she's been milking and breeding cows for 30 years. Then that is what my veterinarian said and he's worked for all sorts of large and small dairy farms. The left side continues to milk just fine and appear normal, but this is the view from the right side and from below.

It's official, the front right teat is a goner. The hind right quarter, while still mastic, continues to milk out.
When people ask me why I'm not Certified Organic, I can point to these pictures and tell them that there is no way I'd ever let our heifer suffer through a wound and infection such as this without therapeutic antibiotics. While I don't believe in using them indiscriminately, such as in milk replacer, poultry feeds or animals destined for meat, when it comes to the survival of breeding animals, I'm willing to reach for the syringe.

Emma is still eating, drinking and ruminating, but it's obvious she doesn't feel well. I'm continuing with flushing the wound twice a day with warm water and a squirt of Betadine, patting it dry and applying antiseptic cream. The rest of the udder gets a good rubbing with Udder Comfort.


No comments:

Post a Comment