Welcome to Painted Hand Farm

Painted Hand Farm is a 20 acre Civil War era farm located in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. We raise meat goats, veal calves, turkeys and organic vegetables using humane and sustainable agricultural practices.

Search This Blog

Friday, April 06, 2007

Population Reduction

While the herd has been expanding with all the new babies, there have also been some departures this week. My primary market is the ethnic community and three goats were purchased by my Moroccan customers this week. They just tie the goat's legs and put them in the back of the car! I'd hate to have one get loose going down the road though, so I think I'll stick with the stock trailer when it comes to transporting live animals.

Also this week, we sent our first batch to the abattoir to be butchered and packaged under our first USDA-approved label. That means we'll be able to sell meat by the cut to the public. Coming up later this month is the local foods farmers market & dinner at Dickinson College. It will be my third year attending, but the first time I will ever have cuts of meat for sale. Progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment